We are a small charity with a big mission. We aim to:
- empower and support women to know and advocate for their rights through free advice and resources, reaching those most at risk through our partnerships
- change culture and practice in maternity care through training for healthcare professionals
- change policy and systems through research, influencing, campaigns and legal interventions
The core strategic outcomes we hope to achieve by 2021 are:
- Government maternity policy adopts a rights-based approach and unlawful, disrespectful or unjust maternity services and structures are changed
- The clinical maternity environment makes a shift in practice and culture towards safe, respectful care that uses a rights-based approach
- More women have the knowledge and understanding of their rights which enables them to advocate for themselves, or seek support in advocating for themselves, to ensure they receive safe, respectful maternity care
We will have a particular focus on women who are most at risk of poor, unsafe or disrespectful maternity care – including those facing severe and complex disadvantage, disabled women and women with mental capacity issues.
We will also build our understanding and evidence of the impact of our work.
With thanks to the Baring Foundation and Esmée Fairbairn Foundation for supporting this work.