Four weeks into being Birthrights’ new Chief Executive, I’m feeling very lucky to lead such a brilliant organisation and brimming with positivity and ideas for 2019. I’m blessed with a very talented team, engaged and expert Trustees, supportive funders, invaluable partners and a wider enthusiastic pool of people who share our mission to improve women’s experience of pregnancy and childbirth by promoting respect for human rights.
As 2018 draws to a close, we wanted to share our highlights from the year. And since it’s Christmas, here are our top 12. I’m so impressed by how much has been achieved by our small but perfectly formed team – showing why #smallbutvital charities are so important. Clearly, I can take no credit for these and my thanks goes to the team and my predecessor, Rebecca Schiller, who I’m delighted will be joining the Board of Trustees next year.
In 2018, we’re proud to have:
- Launched our biggest campaign yet on the right to maternal request caesarean section
- Responded to over 170 email requests for advice from women in need
- Seen our online factsheets visited over 7,000 times – a 7% increase on 2017
- Delivered 18 speaking engagements or training sessions to healthcare professionals
- Strengthened our links with NHS England, the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Royal College of Midwives, General Medical Council, Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Public Services Ombudsman for Wales
- Engaged with the Maternity Transformation Programme Stakeholder Council and numerous NICE consultations
- Secured a new grant from the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation to expand our team and impact
- Progressed our Baring Foundation and Trust for London funded work on women with complex needs
- Welcomed new team members, trustees, Associate Trainers and accountants on board
- Improved our financial systems and capacity to report on budgets and grants
- Deepened our partnership with Leigh Day and explored other corporate partnerships
- Continued our crucial collaborative relationships with Birth Companions and BPAS
And much more besides… Merry Christmas and thank you to all our funders, supporters and partners – I look forward to meeting and working with you in 2019!